Saturday, July 4, 2009

The 90 min Session

In my office freshers join from generally all the major cities of India. These are 'campus' selected students and its from all major states of India.As the north India is covered by Pune center , here most are from states like MP, UP , CG , Punjab, Delhi , Bihar even WB and Assam.I already went many times to take the training of those batches for my subject (Automation Testing Tools). however this post is for this :

I sent mail to the academy head 3 weeks before and asked him weather its possible that i get (say 2 hours) to present 'social' service related topics , talk to them on their view and encourage them if possible to think more positive on these issues. And yes in 2 hours the answer was affirmative from manager. And in a CMM 5 level one of top 5 Indian IT company i got a licence to talk to freshers (whenever they join) about social issues and some simple solutions that i and company is involved in. And yes this would be a system now , means all those join as fresher here would have this 90 min session (either with me or some one of relevant area)

Last week 3 new batches joined and i was excited to talk to them and share my views.I took 3 sessions of about 90 min each with total of 114 (they are divided in 3 batches) freshers last week.And yes it was very positive.I am giving the main points that i shared and discussed with them.I got few very good mails from them also , i would put them in the comments section soon. It was 100 % kind of participation and many of them were really taking interest.

How i took the session :

1)Talking about their state , collage and other basic points. All start talking as soon as a good polite and smiling (yes i smile a lot in sessions) atmosphere is given to them. I observed that around 90 % of them were in same state of mind means all were smiling together and very serious together too.

2)To give a taste of serious thinking i tell them a story of 5 min.Here we go :
Its a play written by one of big Marathi writer....it goes like this :
A)One man is very tensed and moving here and there and soon one lady open a door and say 'boy' and close the door. Means the hero of play is born now.
B)The boys 5th class result is out and he is standing in front of his teacher. Boy failed and teacher give a powerful slap and say you are nothing. And tell him after that ' go to class 6 , i am promoting you'.
C)His class 12th (or 11th of old style) result is out. Passed in 3rd division. Head master is present there and tell him that he is just a waste of person.He is nothing and say many more of those things. Finally say that i am friend of your father , go to post office and meet some one there , one small job is open there, they will give you work.
D) After some years he got married.
E) The scene A again come for his child now.
F) One day some people talk about him. He was very good person. Never did any interference with any one in life. Just he did his work and was really good person. Oh god , he is passed away. And the scene of his final journey is displayed.End of play.
In the whole story the naayak 'hero' is not speaking/talking even a single word . The name of play is 'Mook-Nayak' (Dumb-Hero).

And friends we all are also similar.You me and all of us in India , we are mook-naayak and we do not react and talk of the things around us.Just no reaction.Why is this ??? What is the reason ?? Why ? Lets try to understand. Now all are frizzed and ultra serious , some felt really bad about themselves and start thinking.And the communication start again. I keep asking why why why....and they respond.

3) in the analysis of 'WHY MOOK NAAYAK'. Many points come out. All points like fear to start some thing , family pressure, professional insecurity , its not my work , why should i do this , its not affecting me and my family , one person can not change this , life is not having time for this , if i help some one else would take its profit , politics is present in all places and many many many reason behind this were discussed. So final conclusion was that :
People are not 'MOOK-NAAYAK', they react inside their mind/heart, but because of the above reason they do not 'REACT'.

4)Then i told OK fine. There are reasons behind why we do not react. Its really correct that reasons are there and the reasons are 'CORRECT' also. But if someone or i give you a solution in which none of the reason above is present then tell me , weather you would feel positive and would involve in that. Just think that there is no reason present of the above , and tell that what is your point of view in that case. What you feel as normal human (simple person) in that case. Just think like normal person.

All most all say YES they can do something at least if there are some 'solutions' present in which no problems are there.I told them about the story behind the blood donation and plantation drive in company(See my initial blog for those details). And told them about many other activities happening in company for this cause. I also told them to share their small experience of social work of their school , collage and others. They shared their experiences. And many had done a lot of good work in their collage and schools. And its was really good to see those good stories with such a good atmosphere.

5) Still we had 15 min with us and even if all most 90% of them talked and shared their view i do not know the any of the name. So we had introduction. Just tell me your name and the song that you like most :)
All were very involved , open and positive and told there names and songs too :) :) :)

Take care dear friends...see you in next fresher batch for those 90 mins again.

23 comments:

  1. Great Work Vaibhav

    I can say definitely that at least u r not the 'MOOK NAAYAK' but u r the NAYAK who is encouraging the MOOK NAYAK like us :)

    Sagar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conducting these sessions for freshers was absolutely smashing idea. They are the ones with their minds still open to any idea. They will resist the least to any new thing.

    Now that you have the contacts and people with you, you can actually think of something big. One of my frnds used, with her group, used to conduct small road skits-dramas in small towns. They played very few shows, once in 3 months. The plays were around general awareness about general small issues like aids, use of condoms, use of banks for loans (rather than traditional 'sahukar'), etc. I am not sure how useful the plays are, but they need people with lot of enthusiasm.
    Another group of friends of mine, monthly goes to an ashram for 'mentally retarded children' and play with the children thr (They are inspired by 'Tare Zameen Par').

    Its very easy to sit on the fence and give suggestions. But the credit goes to you. You are actually in action, and as Sagar rightly said "u r the NAYAK who is encouraging the MOOK NAYAK like us".

    Keep up the good work, get us involved next time :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is reaction i got by mail after the session :

    Hi Vaibhav,



    I am Gaurav a PAT. Your lecture was truly good. It had blend of both informative and interactive.As you mentioned to come up with an idea, I have thought of one.



    As we know the ancient monuments, forts etc. are the symbol of over rich past civilization and culture. They have their own majestic look. We all are proud of it. But these days they are not properly preserved. I mean to say the visitors going to these places generally throw all the food eatables, polythene bags, water bottles etc. , there itself. It degrades the beauty of our rich historical heritage. In attempt for it, can we put an event of cleanliness of any historical monuments. For example in Pune district there are many forts like Shanirwada, Sinhagad etc. So according to me we can do it.



    In my college days my friends and me founded 'Sahyadri Nature Group' and we had cleaned Pratapgad fort and also carried out plantation programme near karad. We organized various slideshow on the topics 'Wild Periyar ' , Tiger-On verge of Extinct.



    I request to look at this idea. I would be happy if the idea is implemented in context that the historical monuments will rediscover its beauty.

    Thanking you in anticipation,
    Yours Sincerely,
    Gaurav S. Kataria

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is reaction i got by mail after the session :
    Hi Vaibhav,

    Your 90 min. session really was very nice. I think u should continue for other batches as well.

    I want a favour from u. Our vehical parking is at outside of our campus.They needs a shade to protect from rain as well as from heat.

    The problem that arise due to vehicals been outside is that they become dirty and also their will be wastage of petrol during summer.

    I know my mail would not be so impressive but my feelings true for our employees.

    So please think on my suggetion.



    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Prathmesh Phadnis

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is reaction i got by mail after the session :

    Hi Vaibhav,

    I liked yesterdays sesion. It was so much interactive that i thought its not going to end in 90 mins. Actually i have never seen someone, who is thinking in such a diferent way. It makes me to think like things can be so simple.



    Actually i have a idea. Everyone doing charity these days,but it comes when some disastrous situation is there e.g. Kargil war, tsunami, etc. At that time, in many idustries it was mandatory for all the employees to give salary of a day as a donation. I dont know about Cognizant, but my father is working in Ordnance factory which is coming under Ministry of Defence, there same thing happened. And many were there who have given it without there willingness.



    What I think is, instead of waiting for such situations, we can give Rs.10/month (lets assume it) which is not a very big amount for any of us in Cognizant and no one is going to care for Rs 10/month. So in pune, as there are nearly 7900 people working here, we were having Rs.79000/month, which is not a small amout for charity purpose.


    So if you think such thing is possible please tell me.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Amit Ohale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kya baat hai Sirjee...
    Great initiative indeed and a tremendous response as well. You are bringing a revolution of sorts.
    I consider myself unfortunate to have missed out on such a session from you. Although I got little gyaan from you on our way back from Alibagh. Hope you remember..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just conducted 4th , 90 min session with new freshers batch. Batch size of 58 and one of my friend who came to have a look (Sourabh) were present.

    Reponse would be known later.
    Overall i am fine with the session.

    Vaibhav

    ReplyDelete
  8. Received this via email.

    Dear Vaibhav,

    Way of your presentation was excellent and the way you made everyone speak about their feelings was also very

    Good.Your session helped me to realize that one should not fear about other’s reaction while trying/planning

    to do something good.I will be honoured if I can join your group and can contribute a bit in development society.

    Regards

    Mayank Mahajan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Received this via email :

    Dear Sir,
    Greetings of the day!!

    I loved that session and want to be a part of it in any manner, wherever is the requirement I m ready to work for any kind of social service and if I talk about any kind of modifications than it is too early to say anything because I have no experience in this area but I will love to be part of that. I have also registered on blood donation portal and even ready to donate blood every three months.

    Thanks & Regards
    Akhil Jain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Received this via email :

    Hi vaibhav

    That session was very gud. U encouraged me a lot

    Akshay Zunke

    ReplyDelete
  11. Received this via email :

    Hi, Vaibhav

    The ’90 minutes’ was really very good and there is nothing more needed to perfect it.

    But I would like to give a suggestion-

    During our discussion most associates(joinees) talked about the same reasons for not doing the social service. So if we could save some 7-10 minutes there, then u would get some more time to talk about the initiatives and various NGO’s.

    One more thing is that after ur session, most of the associates really forgot everything. So is it possible for us to arrange a visit to some NGO in coming weekends so that we really can know the problems faced by people.

    Abhijit Marsattiwar

    ReplyDelete
  12. 5th '90 mins' session was conducted by my friend Sourabh (who came with me at 4th session). Batch size was of 35.

    I had a talk with him and initial reaction from Sourabh are good.

    Reactions would be uploaded as we receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Received this comment via e-mail.

    Hello Saurabh
    This is on behalf of whole 2008 batch.

    The topic we all discussed about is sensitive and the conversation we had with you was very much inspiring. Many of us who were not really aware of the facts or the way, might get a new direction and a new angle to our thoughts.

    We hope this discussion does not end up in words. We look forward for your help to think and go beyond our own selves.

    Sincerely
    Batch 2008

    --
    Regards

    Aditi Bansal
    Programmer Analyst Trainee | Plot 26 Rajiv Gandhi Infotech Park MIDC
    Hinjewadi, Pune
    V-net : 207756
    E-mail : Aditi.Bansal@cognizant.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Today i conducted one more session and tomorrow 2 more are planned.
    Session went as per expectation today with a batch size of 25 around.

    -Vaibhav

    ReplyDelete
  15. Next day i conducted 6th '90 min session' with a batch (2 combined) of around 60 size. Following are the comments i received via email.

    Hi there

    I felt ur session was very motivating. I am already connected with outreach and I have strong desire to get connected to what ever works you r doing. I want to do this for my satisfaction.i am ready to donate money give my time n whatever that could make a minute difference in my company. Please inform me all the ways I can help. I would be always ready. Please mail me all the info. N contact no which u told in the session n please let me know if there are some other people from 12 oct batch who would like to communicate you.we can make a group n after that we mail u group wise . N I REALLY APPRECIATE UR WORK.
    This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
    If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
    Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
    prohibited and may be unlawful.

    Purva Tiwari

    ReplyDelete
  16. Received this via email :

    Sir,

    It was a great session by you with all of us. Now I think I get a some plate form for doing further in this field.

    Thanking you.
    Gaurav Khare

    ReplyDelete
  17. Received this via email :

    Sir,
    Good Morning!!!

    I was really impressed and inspired by your session. As I am a regular blood donor and blood donation gives me extreme satisfaction si I want to continue my efforts in this direction.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Amit Sharma

    ReplyDelete
  18. Received this via email :

    Hi Vaibhav..
    Good Morning…

    I really felt good to talk with you.I really liked the interactive session very much.Since we were not listening to a monotonous one sided seminar but yours was a interactive two way communication.We raised the questions and we found the solutions ourselves..That was something really unique about yesterday’s session which makes it different from other seminars.

    Thank You.
    Regards,
    Mandeep Kaur

    ReplyDelete
  19. Received this via email :

    Hi Vaibhav,

    Yesterday session was very nice. Please update my name in the list of registration.

    First of all I think we have to do awareness of switch off the bike/car engines while we stop at the signal which will help to reduce pollution, saves natural resources & finally will help in reducing global warming.

    We have to start that thing from ourselves(I start it from last 7 months), from our colleagues & then in our orgnisation.

    Sanket Talathi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Received this via email :

    Good morning Sir

    It was very nice to listen you. It is good that leading IT company think about the society. I really want to do something for society. I surely get self satisfication by doing this.

    Regards n thanks
    Chamanvir kaur

    ReplyDelete
  21. Recevied this via email :

    Good Morning

    I had attended the 90 minutes session yesterday, I really felt good after attending the session as the session made me aware that there are so many groups and organizations within and outside cognizant that are working to help those who are in need. I am interested to know more about the Rescue organization that works for the stray animals that need help .

    Thank You
    Regards
    Nitya Dave

    ReplyDelete
  22. Received this via email :

    Dear Vaibhav,

    If you ask my feedback about presentation, then I really appreciate the effort….

    And I like the way you put forth your point….

    And if you ask me feedback about its effectiveness, then I really want to participate actively in your next event, please let me know about it, by the way my point is, from where shall I come to know about these things?

    My session is starting so I can’t finish it properly...

    See you soon then….
    Thanks for that talk….
    Indrajeet Mopari

    ReplyDelete
  23. Recevied this via email :

    Hello Vaibhav,

    I am shekhar patidar with employee id 209063 I want to be a part of this effort

    I want to teach and work at the weekends from this weekend

    Please tell me how can I be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete